Job Title: Material Handler
Employment Status: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Day / Swing / Grave
Reports to: Warehouse Supervisor
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Pay: $18 – $20
Position Summary: Depending on assigned shift, responsibilities for a Material Handler could include warehousing activities, shipping/receiving activities, supporting production’s material handling needs, and counting inventory. Other responsibility could include backing up the supervisor when trained and assigned.
- Safety: Adhere to safety procedures at all times including forklift driving, handling of warehouse equipment/tools, safety equipment, and lifting techniques. Maintain forklift driving certification. Practice lift truck safety such as chocking wheels to trailers before entering the truck.
- Warehousing: Maintain a safe, clean and organized warehouse that maximizes space and adhere to all health / safety requirements. Store material in the proper warehouse location and assure compliance to FIFO system practices. Keep material clear of aisles and accommodate fluctuations in product flow.
- Receiving: Unload and receive incoming freight ensuring all materials are received in good order. Check product for conformance to documentation (BOL, Packing Slip, PO, etc.) according to company receiving procedures. Ensure incoming materials are properly identified and labeled. Document and notify appropriate personnel immediately when freight is damaged, truck does not pass GMP inspection or deviations from standard receiving practices occur.
- Shipping: Accurately pull orders according to pick notes or other applicable documentation. Accurately weigh product and ensure all shipping documentation is in order including lot tracking. Maintain FIFO inventory control when pulling, staging and shipping orders. Inspect truck for GMP compliance before loading and releasing product for shipment.
- Packaging: Properly prepare, package and/or wrap product to minimize potential shipping and handling damage. Ensure products are accurately identified and labeled according to documented procedures.
- Production Support: Follow production schedules to assure required raw materials, packaging, and WIP specified in production work orders are staged for workstations with minimum disruption. Assist in maintaining organized work spaces by readily retrieving manufactured product and keeping the yard clean and orderly.
- Inventory: Assist in inventory control efforts by accurately counting assigned part numbers and timely notification of inventory irregularities. Assist in inventory count reconciliation.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned by Warehouse Supervisor and Materials Manager.
This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, and responsibilities. These items may change or new items may be assigned with or without notice.
Experience and Education Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one year of warehouse experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) Required
- Ability to operate a forklift and pallet jack.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in an organized manner.
- Self-motivated and ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to read and write English and perform basic business math.
- Forklift certified
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Modified “light duty” restrictions may be arranged as needed and when available for job-related injuries or illnesses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk on normal and
uneven surfaces and sit; use hands for writing and keyboarding; lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The employee is occasionally required to lift, carry, and push up to 65 pounds; stand, stoop, and bend; and hand grip up to 20 pounds. The employee is required to use a ladder to reach high areas for performing work. This position also requires hand coordination to operate a forklift and scissor lift. The employee may occasionally encounter uneven and/or slippery surfaces when in warehouse.
Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Acute hearing is necessary for telephone and in-person communication with customers and fellow employees, and visual acuity sufficient to read a computer screen and paper documents.
This position typically functions in a manufacturing and warehouse environment. Exposure to hot and cold temperatures is dependent on climate. Exposure to dusty conditions may exist at times. The job may require working outdoors on occasion.
EEO Policy Statement:
Gusmer Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Gusmer will also consider requests for reasonable accommodations made by applicants and employees on an individualized basis, including those based on disabilities and sincerely-held religious beliefs, where such accommodations do not impose an undue burden on the business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.