Job Title: Quality Control Supervisor, Hickory NC
Employment Status: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday with occasional weekends
Travel: Required for training and execution of job duties
Reports to: Quality Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Introduction: We invite you to become an integral member of our Gusmer team. We are looking for a candidate who will exemplify our corporate values in the position of Quality Control Supervisor. This position will be responsible for supervising our quality technician team ensuring achievement of quality product standards while maintaining a safe and collaborative work environment. We offer great benefits, paid time off, 401K match, profit sharing bonus and retirement contribution, as well as career and development opportunities.
Position Summary: Supervise daily quality control activities to ensure product quality through testing and inspection at various stages of production process. Compile and evaluate statistical data to determine and maintain product quality and reliability. Ensure departments compliance with quality standards and company policies. Mentor subordinate staff and facilities problem solving; assist production and R&D departments when required.
- Leadership: Supervise daily quality control activities to ensure product quality. Mentor subordinate staff and facilitate problem solving. Motivate and encourage teamwork within the workforce and foster growth and development through effective training and performance guidance. Communicate frequently to direct reports regarding performance and maintain adequate notes to support annual performance evaluations and disciplinary actions when necessary.
- Laboratory Testing
Production (In-Process and Finished Product) Testing: Ensure that quality control tests on manufactured products are performed in a timely and accurately manner per established guidelines and frequencies.
Raw Material Testing: Ensure that raw materials are inspected and tested according to set procedures and meet product specifications; ensure that final approval on raw materials for use by production are accomplished in a timely manner and that approval labeling is correctly applied.
Laboratory testing equipment will include, but are not limited to, Kinetic Turbidametric, Endotoxin Testing Equipment, Water Flow Rate Tester, TOC Analyzer, Moisture Analyzer, Air Permeability Analyzer, Microwave Ash Oven, Tensile Tester, and analytical balances.
- Quality: Ensure that proper instructions are provided to production for adjustments to processes as necessary to maintain product quality and efficiencies. Identify and isolate all defective products and materials; use the NCMR system as appropriate when questions concerning product quality exist. Actively participate as a member of the Quality team.
- Production: Ensure that batch mixing formulas are accurately prepared for filter sheet production, and that department assists with production efforts when necessary to prevent interruptions and ensure smooth workflow.
- Certificates: Ensure Quality Certificates are accurately and neatly generated when required for products or customers and that all items are present and accurate prior to signature.
- Calibration: Ensure that essential laboratory equipment and instrumentation are maintained and calibrated. Ensure that calibration schedules and logs for all QC related equipment are properly conducted and maintained and that calibrations are accurately performed in a timely manner and correctly documented.
- Communication: Establish and maintain positive relationships with manager, coworkers, direct reports, and other departments by communicating in a respectful and professional manner. Deal with difficult situations with tact and resourcefulness. Respond to requests and provide pertinent information to achieve and maintain a positive team environment. Clearly communicate to staff regarding job assignment, work instructions, policies, and practices. Ensure that department is actively communicating with appropriate personnel regarding status of products running including immediate notification wen quality concerns are present.
This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, and responsibilities. These items may change or new items may be assigned with or without notice.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree (Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology) preferred
- Minimum three years of proven experience in an Analytical Laboratory or Quality Control Laboratory required
- Lab Skills Experience – pipetting, measuring, caliper (Required)
- Supervisory experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) Required
- Knowledge of effective and safe laboratory and experimental procedures
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of chemicals and reagents
- Strong working knowledge of various mathematical concepts including fractions, ratios, and proportions
- Requires strong analytical ability to handle data and results
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Valid Driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Covid-19 vaccination: Because business travel is an essential function of this position, Gusmer requires that any individual holding this position is fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and can show proof of same prior to commencing employment. This requirement is based on travel guidance and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and is consistent with Gusmer’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and to safeguard the health of Gusmer’s employees and their families, its customers and visitors, and the community at large.
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Modified “light duty” restrictions may be arranged as needed and when available for job-related injuries or illnesses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; lift/carry/push/pull under 10 pounds; use hands repetitively for writing, keyboarding, and grasping/holding. The employee is occasionally required to lift/carry/push/pull up to 20 pounds; twist/turn; reach outward and over shoulders, and bend and squat.
Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Acute hearing is necessary for telephone and in-person communication with customers and fellow employees, and visual acuity sufficient to read a computer screen and paper documents.
This position typically functions in a combination of an office and plant environment; there will be exposure to moderate noise levels, fumes, dust, chemicals, heat/cold and allergens especially in plant/warehouse environment.
EEO Policy Statement:
Gusmer Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Gusmer will also consider requests for reasonable accommodations made by applicants and employees on an individualized basis, including those based on disabilities and sincerely-held religious beliefs, where such accommodations do not impose an undue burden on the business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.