The IT Technician, under the direction of the IT Manager, is responsible for providing front line support for users in both an office and production setting. This includes providing support with applications related to office computing (MS Office, Business planning and reporting applications, CAD software, etc.) as well as production related equipment that provides users in manufacturing access to ERP software that allows us to manufacture products. Key objectives of this position are to assure there are minimal interruptions to the services the Business Technology Department provides.
Reports to / Supervision Received:
- Manager: VP / Director of Business Technology
- Direct Supervisor: IT Manager
- Indirect Reporting Relationship: BT Department
Monitor and respond to helpdesk tickets and issues such as:
general troubleshooting of computer systems (laptops and desktops) software installation and troubleshooting remote / vpn connection problems assigning and maintaining network permissions printing and scanning answering endpoint protection and malware questions.
Prepare and stage new equipment for users:
- receiving and cataloging equipment installing software required for the users position setup and support remote access ensure systems are up to date before deployment work with the end user to prepare for migration from old system
- Prepare and update computer manuals / training guides for users
- Install and setup software as organizational needs change
- Research and obtain quotes for IT equipment
- Keep IT equipment and tools organized
- Assist with network set up and maintenance (switches, access points, etc.)
- Update and maintain accurate records of IT equipment
- Provide support to others in the department
- Monitor servers for warnings, critical events: failed backups, etc.
- Assist users with backup questions and needs.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required:
- Associates degree in Computer Science or related study
- Ability to write clear and concise instructions and to use the English language with proficiency
- Strong communication and people skills
- Minimum Experience required:
- 2 years in an IT Support role with a working knowledge of:
Windows based desktop and server operating systems
Microsoft Office products
Client – Server methodology in a multiple VLAN environment
Remote control applications for remote support
- Experience with end user support and helpdesk support a plus
- Skills Required:
- Strong PC skills: experience with Microsoft Windows 10 and Office 2010+ (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Understanding of local area networks and wifi technology
- Strong troubleshooting abilities with computer software and hardware issues
- Understanding of server / client methodolgy
- Understanding of data warehousing / network storage / virtual enviornments
- Knowledge of Microsoft Sharepoint, Linux, Windows Server 2008+, backup software a plus
- Ability to install, replace, and upgrade hardware in desktops and laptops.
- Assists with the maintenance and troubleshooting of client computers and servers at other Gusmer Enterprises locations (virtual / remote).
- Make the best use of Gusmer’s technology investments by periodically checking on equipment, ensuring they are in top working order.
- Make educated and informed decisions when purchasing equipment by obtaining multiple competative quotes.
- Internal and External Business Contacts:
- Develop and maintain relationships with Gusmer personnel to improve their comfort level approaching with BT requests.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside BT vendors and support networks.
- Interact with external vendors such as IBM, Infor, SAP to keep core services up and running.
- Work together with remote offices and workforce to guarantee server and resource availability.
This position entails support of the BT department in addition to interacting with other departments resolving queries and requests as needed. We encourage employees to continue to look for development opportunities to improve and stretch themselves. If qualified and interested, employees are eligible to apply for other positions inside the Company. Demonstrating leadership qualities through the IT Technician position could benefit an employee in consideration for another position within Gusmer Enterprises.