Reports to: VP/Director of Information Technology
Position Summary: The IS/IT Technician, under the direction of the IS/IT Specialist, is responsible for providing front-line support for users in both an office and production setting. This includes providing support with applications related to office computing (MS Office, Business planning and reporting applications, CAD software, etc.) as well as production-related equipment that provides users in manufacturing access to ERP software that allows us to manufacture products. The very core of the department is ensuring there are no interruptions with Gusmer’s organizational functions related to the IS/IT client/server/network infrastructure. The IS/IT Technician would participate in ensuring this goal is achieved.
1. Monitor and respond to helpdesk tickets and issues such as printing and scanning
antivirus and malware software installation and troubleshooting general troubleshooting of computer systems (laptops and desktops) remote/VPN connection problems
2. Prepare and stage new equipment for users receiving and cataloging equipment installing software for the user’s position setup for remote access ensure the system is up to date before deployment work with the end user to prepare for migration from the old system
3. Prepare and update computer manuals/training guides for users
4. Install and setup software as organization needs change
5. Research/obtain quotes for IT equipment
6. Keep IT equipment and tools organized
7. Assist with network setup and maintenance (switches, access points, etc.)
8. Update and maintain accurate records of IT equipment
9. Provide support to others in the department
10. Monitor servers for warnings, critical events: failed backups, etc.
11. Assist users with backup questions and needs.
- Associates degree or vocational school in computer related concentration
- Ability to write clear and concise instructions and to use the English language with proficiency
- Strong communication and people skills
- Two years troubleshooting desktop, laptop, and application related issues
- Experience with end user and helpdesk support a plus
- Strong PC skills: experience with Microsoft Windows 10 and Office 2010+ (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Understanding of local area networks and Wi-Fi technology
- Strong troubleshooting abilities with computer software and hardware issues
- Understanding of server/client methodology
- Understanding of data warehousing/network storage / virtual environments
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint, Linux, Windows Server 2008+, backup software a plus
- Ability to install, replace, and upgrade hardware in desktops and laptops.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Assists with the maintenance and troubleshooting of client computers and servers at other locations (virtual/remote).
Typical Working Conditions:
This position typically functions in a business/office environment with some work required in a manufacturing area. There may be occasional travel by car. There will be exposure to moderate noise levels, fumes, dust, chemicals, and allergens when traveling or in the production/warehouse area.
This position includes frequent use of a keyboard and mouse for daily IS/IT duties. In addition, tablets and mobile phones are also used to set up/monitor / respond to issues while mobile in the office, production, or warehouse areas, or while at home. Other tool requirements for this position include operating a CAT5 crimper, 110/66 block punch down tool, and standard hand tools (drills, screw drivers, pliers, cutters, wrenches).