The Development Engineer – Device is responsible for developing new processes for standard and insert injection molding. This position will be involved in specifying equipment for future applications as well as capacity expansions. The individual will generate and implement ideas for process improvement as well as evaluate new technology. Knowledge of injection molding, vibration welding, and manufacturing equipment as well as the operator’s skill level in production is required for success in this position.
The Development Engineer – Device must be able to work cooperatively with Maintenance, Production, Safety, R&D personnel, the Quality department and lab staff.
Reports to / Supervision Received:
1. Manager: Mechanical Engineer
1. Develop validation protocols for component injection molding as well as final device assembly.
2. Develop documentation as required for equipment installation and maintenance of equipment into final quality system documents for release to plant/lab. Also be able to provide or assist with training on these documents as needed.
3. Identify equipment enhancements and specify equipment requirements for capacity expansion (including update improvements) and automation.
4. Assist R&D and Engineering in transitioning products and processes from development to Manufacturing.
5. Develop and execute projects according to defined schedules and budgets.
6. Establish injection molding processes using scientific molding practices for standard and insert molding applications.
7. For projects requiring external resources, recruit qualified contractors, and serve as a primary point of contact for these contractor activities on site unless otherwise designated.
1. Perform other engineering work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
1. Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required:
- 4 year degree in Plastics Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
2. Minimum Experience required:
- 2 years of engineering experience
3. Skills Required:
- Emphasize Safety in every activity
- Quality focused
- Project Management
- Ability to understand production facility and equipment requirements
- Experience using 2D AutoCad and Solidworks
- Experience with Injection Molding. Vibration Welding, and automation a plus
- Good oral and written technical presentation skills
- Team work skills
- Experience in mechanics or hydraulics a plus.
- Understand operation of production and testing equipment. Ability to use diagnostic maintenance equipment.
- Develop and track budgets for engineering projects by tracking developmental costs, identifying production needs and issues, and examining least-cost alternatives.
3. Internal and External Business Contacts:
- Expands job knowledge by supplier/vendor communication, taking advantage of vendor training, assisting cross functionally with other departments when needed, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.