Job Title: Analytical Technician
Employment Status: Full Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, occasional weekends as needed.
Reports to: Napa Technical Service Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Position Summary: Responsible for analytical testing of customer samples, production of lab chemicals, and maintenance of lab equipment. Performs chemical analysis of products, alcoholic beverages, and other related materials while observing the facility’s safety practices, procedures, and quality system. The Analytical Technician position requires hand-on laboratory work and requires some tasting of alcoholic beverages for sensory evaluation purposes. The Analytical Technician is responsible for communication of lab results and purchase of lab supplies.
- Quality: Perform tests on samples supplied by customers or other departments in a timely and accurate manner to ensure customer satisfaction. Verify that samples are properly logged into applicable software and that tests are conducted according to SOP guidelines.
- Communication: Establish and maintain positive customer relations by providing personable service and dealing with difficult situations with tact and resourcefulness. Clearly communicate test results to customers or other departments.
- Accountability: Perform and support production of lab chemicals for resale in a safe and efficient manner and maintain an accurate bill of materials. Responsible for accurate and timely processing of production work orders. Ensure functionality of lab equipment by performing calibrations and preventative maintenance. Purchase lab supplies and inventory ensuring that lab is properly stocked to perform daily functions and meet customer needs while examining least-cost alternatives.
- Growth and Development: Remain knowledgeable and proficient in lab sample analysis, lab chemical production, lab equipment operation, and lab equipment maintenance. Maintain expertise of Gusmer beverage product lines. Stay proficient in industry developments by participating in product training and professional development opportunities.
- Assist with analytical lab and R&D efforts.
- Attend and participate in trade shows and conferences as required.
- Participate and support hands on product training efforts as required.
- Assist with bringing new technologies into the lab.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, and responsibilities. These items may change, or new items may be assigned with or without notice.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in chemistry, analytical chemistry, enology, biotechnology, or related field.
- Lab experience in an industry or academic setting required.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) Required
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to write scientific reports.
- Ability to multi-task and work in an organized manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain a high attention to detail is required.
- Excellent organizational abilities and the ability to manage a variety of projects and assignments.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, other computer programs, and technology.
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Modified “light duty” restrictions may be arranged as needed and when available for job-related injuries or illnesses.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk on normal and uneven surfaces and sit; use hands for writing and keyboarding, lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and rare lifting of 21-50 pounds; standing, stooping, or bending.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Acute hearing is necessary for telephone and in-person communication with customers and fellow employees, and visual acuity is sufficient to read a computer screen and paper documents.
This position typically functions in a laboratory and office environment. There will be exposure to moderate noise levels, fumes, dust, chemicals, heat/cold and allergens.
EEO Policy Statement:
Gusmer Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Gusmer will also consider requests for reasonable accommodations made by applicants and employees on an individualized basis, including those based on disabilities and sincerely held religious beliefs, where such accommodations do not impose an undue burden on the business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
I have read and understand and agree to the responsibilities and requirements of the job. I further understand that the duties and responsibilities herein describe the general nature of the job and are subject to change or modification by my supervisor with or without notice. My supervisor may add, delete, assign, transfer or alter duties as necessary or deemed appropriate.